If you are a gun rights supporter and already know about the court case of the District of Columbia v. Heller, then go to this link and take “ACTION: Urge your Senators to oppose the anti-gun ‘nuclear option’ to blow up the Senate rules. Tell them that any vote in favor of weakening the filibuster rules for judicial confirmations will ultimately result in a reversal of the Heller case and [be] a body-blow to the Second Amendment.”
If you’re unfamiliar with the Heller case, read on. From the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) in 2008:
… the District of Columbia appealed a Court of Appeals ruling affirming that the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that the District’s bans on handguns, carrying firearms within the home and possession of functional firearms for self-defense violate that fundamental right.
“Anti-gun politicians can no longer deny that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right,” said NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. “All law-abiding Americans have a fundamental, God-given right to defend themselves in their homes. Washington, D.C. must now respect that right.” …
Heller, and therefore individual gun rights, are in jeopardy as Senate Democrats are once again trying to change their chamber’s rules and make the filibuster useless. From Gun Owners of America (GOA):
… You remember when Harry Reid was threatening to destroy the Senate filibuster in January — and later in July — in order to approve Leftist Obama-supported nominees.
You remember, at the time, we said that, if Reid “pulled the trigger” on this so-called nuclear option to destroy the filibuster in some cases — thus eliminating the need for Reid to garner 60 votes some of the time — there would be no impediment to Reid doing anything he wanted with 50 votes (plus Biden) in other cases?
And you remember we said that it wouldn’t take long before Reid tried to limit the filibuster and use a mere 50 Democratic votes to approve other things as well — like an anti-gun Supreme Court justice to replace Supreme Court “swing vote” Anthony Kennedy? The immediate ramification of such an appointment would be to overturn the Heller case (which held that the Second Amendment is an “individual right,” not just the right of a state to raise a militia).
Finally, you remember that Harry Reid said, at the time, that his shady precedent would just apply to Executive Branch nominees, not judges?
Well, it hasn’t taken long for his lie to be exposed.
The anti-gun Democratic Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Patrick Leahy (D-VT), has just called for blowing up the Senate rules to approve judges with 50 votes See Roll Call, “Leahy Eyes ‘Nuclear Option’ Threat to Confirm Judges,” (August 2, 2013).
Although Leahy doesn’t explicitly say so, this would eventually include Obama’s prospective anti-gun replacement to the 80-year-old Kennedy — and would mean that the Second Amendment, in the eyes of the courts, would no longer exist.
Again, Justice Kennedy cast the deciding vote on the 5-4 Heller decision So, if he is replaced by an anti-gun Obama nominee, Heller is gone. …
Don’t let unprincipled politicians take away our gun rights. ACT NOW by following this link, filling in a little information, and contacting your Senators.
You can also use and share the following resources for protecting the Second Amendment:
Contact your elected representatives
- The President and Vice President
- Your U.S. senators
- Your U.S. House representative
- Contact a senator via Facebook and Twitter
- Contact a House rep via Facebook and Twitter
- Your governor
- Your state legislators
Join organizations advocating for the Second Amendment (I belong to all of these personally) — they’ll provide you with general gun rights info and keep you up-to-date on current issues affecting gun ownership:
- National Rifle Association (NRA)
- National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR)
- Gun Owners of America (GOA)
Learn about gun rights and so-called “gun control”
Learn how to lobby and do it
- Use the “Citizen Lobbying Kit” — it has great resources for becoming an effective political activist
- Get involved locally
- Stay informed
- Learn about grassroots activism
- Register to vote
- Find out how your representatives stand and vote on gun rights
Vote with your wallet
Get informed about recent attacks on the Second Amendment
- “Bloomberg’s money loses to grassroots citizen activists on gun control in Nevada”
- “The only dark side of 2nd Amendment proponents is its critics”
- “Citizens should be able to purchase and own high-capacity magazines”
- “ACT NOW to Oppose the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty”
- “Take your business to companies that support the Second Amendment; boycott those who don’t”
- “Polls: 58% surveyed unhappy with ‘stricter gun legislation;’ only 4% feel gun control is ‘an important problem;’ only 47% are ‘angry’ that new gun laws failed to pass; police oppose gun control”
- “Toomey/Manchin Gun ‘Compromise’ plus House Rep King: Coincidence or truth is stranger than fiction?”
- “Obama says our Founding Fathers’ system ‘constrains’ him”
- “TheBlaze: ’44 GUN COMPANIES HAVE STOPPED SELLING TO LAW ENFORCEMENT IN ANTI-2ND AMENDMENT STATES’”
- “Even the DOJ doesn’t believe in an ‘assault weapon’ ban”
- “Obama’s hypocrisy: Assault weapons OK for government employee ‘personal defense’ but not for civilians”
- “There’s no reason to ban ‘assault’ rifles”
- “Will Obama usurp the constitution on gun control?”
Related: Activism, Constitution, Democrats, Guns